Sunday, July 6, 2008

July 5, Saturday

So, I rush back to the hospital early in the morning...our agent picks me up to give me a lift even though the hospital is a 15 minute walk from our appartment. Like parents, they prepare a goodie bag for me to take to Matt. He's all drugged up and seems to be doing better. In fact, he even found a friend. A guy beside him is in his early 20's and shares everything with him! I'm not sure how excatly they communicate, but that definitelly eased my mind! So, I stay there as I'm expected to feed Matt and help him out (not enough staff). I notice that in the goodie bag is also one set of dishes, and good thing...they wheel the food in the hallway and everybody has to go and get some on their own dish! Then you wash the dish, and wait for the next meal. Crazy, but again, everyone is super nice and helpful. The bathrooms here scare me, in the hospital, the seat is actually off to the side, you put it on as required, and you're expected to have your own toilet paper...wow...Our health care system is so so so different.
The guy beside Matt keeps feeding him all the goodies that his mom brought him, and they both chuckle, although I'm not convinced that they always understand each other. The hospital food is a hit and miss, so I ran out at lunch to pick up more snacks. It feels like long day. Turns out one of the patients in that room also speaks Polish, so now we're getting somewhere. The young guy speaks Russian, then the Polish guy translates to me, then I translate to Matt. It's actually not that bad, all things considered. I went home early that evening, as at this point, I'm competely exhausted!

No comments: